The BSHS is looking for a Chair (voluntary role) to lead the Outreach and Engagement Committee (OEC).
The OEC coordinates and directs the Society’s efforts to promote the understanding of the history of science, technology and medicine in a wide range of contexts, both formal and informal. We do this through public events, supporting researchers to work with museums, festivals and schools, and through the provision of grants and awards.
The role of the Chair is to provide leadership and direction to the OEC. The main responsibilities of the Chair are:
1) Championing the work of OEC among stakeholders in the academic, heritage and education sector
2) Supporting the OEC in delivering Prizes, Grants and Fellowships
3) Chairing and facilitating board meetings (three times a year)
4) Reporting on OEC activities and contributing to BSHS Council Meetings (three times a year)
5) Liaising with the BSHS Chair, Treasurer and Executive Secretary to manage and deliver funds
Above all we are looking to recruit someone with enthusiasm and imagination. If you are interested in joining a lively, friendly committee, please email OEC Chair Rachel Boon (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a statement covering the following questions (maximum 500 words each) by 20 January 2023:
1) What is your experience of delivering and/or developing engagement with HSTM?
2) Which potential publics for HSTM research do you think the BSHS could engage with better and how?
Find out more about the role https://www.bshs.org.uk/advert-for-chair-bshs-outreach-and-engagement-committee