School of Computer Science and Statistics,
O’Reilly Institute, Trinity College Dublin,
Dublin 2, Ireland.
This remarkable collection is located in the School of Computer Science
and Statistics in Trinity College Dublin. Its title is in recognition of
Professor John Gabriel Byrne (1933-2016), who founded and led the
Department of Computer Science during its first 40 years of rapid
development, and has been called both a “genuine Renaissance Man, with a
huge range of interests” and “the father of computing in Ireland,
responsible, directly or indirectly, for most of the extraordinary
success of the Irish software sector”. Over his entire life he gathered
an impressive and invaluable collection of early computing books and
documents, sliderules, software, instruments and machines, which form
the basis for the collection. With further donations there are now about
three thousand items, see the online catalog.
The collection exists to further scholarly research and teaching; to
arrange a visit please contact the curators.